Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Other Worlds - eastern Bhutan -

On Saturday I am leaving for eastern Bhutan. Getting there will involve a long flight to Bangkok, an overnight at the Nov Suvarnabhumi Hotel, then a flight to Calcutta with an 8 hour layover - I''ll have time for a quick inspection trip of a new hotel property in town - then it's back to the airport for a short flight to Guwahati, Assam. The next morning at dawn on Tuesday, I'll make my way north to Samdrup Jongkhar, the Bhutanese border town with Assam. After visa formalities, I'll join Karchung my long-standing friend and research assistant for a short drive to Pema Gatshel in the southeast. Bhutan is not easy to get to but it's certainly easier traveling from Assam into Bhutan, than flying from Bangkok to Paro, then driving three days to get to the far east!